A Guide to Extending the Lifespan of Your Bras Through Proper Care
We really put our bras through the ringer. Whether they accompany you on a busy day at the office or a jam-packed weekend, they are with us through all of our ups and downs. This means that they spend a fair amount of time being washed (let’s hope!), and how this happens, as well as other care practices, can predict how long your bra will last. Read on to see how you can make sure your bra has a quality life through its sunset years.
Preservation through gentle cleansing
Caring for your bras is similar to caring for your skin, it all begins with a meticulous approach to washing. By adhering to a few simple guidelines, you can preserve the fabric, elasticity, and overall structure of your bras.
- Hand Washing: Hand washing is the gold standard for maintaining the integrity of your bras. Fill a basin with lukewarm water and add a mild lingerie detergent. Gently agitate the water to create suds.
- Gentle Cleansing: Submerge your bras in the soapy water and agitate them delicately. Pay particular attention to areas with sweat or oil buildup, such as the underband, armpit area and straps.
- Rinsing: Rinse the bras thoroughly with cool water until all soap residue is removed. Avoid wringing or twisting the bras, as this can damage the fabric and stretch.
- Drying: After rinsing, gently press the excess water out of the bras by lightly squeezing them. Lay the bras flat on a clean, absorbent towel and reshape them to their original form. Allow them to air-dry away from direct sunlight and heat sources.
Thoughtful storage is pivotal in maintaining the shape and elasticity of your bras over time. Embrace these practices to ensure your bras remain in pristine condition:
- Fasten Hooks: Always fasten the hooks of your bras before storing them. This prevents hooks from snagging on delicate fabrics and maintains the bra's shape.
- Neat Stacking: Stack your bras one on top of the other, with molded cups facing upward to prevent deformation. This practice also helps retain the shape of underwires and elastic bands.
- Separate Compartments: Utilize lingerie bags or dedicated compartments in your drawer to prevent bras from becoming entangled with other garments.
- Airy Space: Allow ample space between each bra in your storage area to prevent friction and maintain their original form.
An often overlooked aspect of bra care is wearing rotation. By regularly alternating between bras, you allow each one time to rest and regain its elasticity. This simple practice extends the lifespan of your bras and ensures consistent comfort. It can be helpful to buy your favourite in a couple colours for different outfits, or if you love one colour particularly then buy multiples!
Protecting Fine Fabrics: Special Considerations
Bras crafted from delicate fabrics or featuring intricate lace and embroidery demand additional attention. To safeguard their intricate details:
- Avoid Abrasion: When washing bras with delicate details, place them inside a lingerie bag to protect them from potential snags or abrasion.
- Hand Washing: Hand washing is especially crucial for bras with fine fabrics. Gently agitate the water to clean without putting undue stress on the delicate elements.
- Lay Flat to Dry: Lay bras with delicate lace or embroidery flat to dry to prevent stretching and distortion of the intricate designs.
Not to worry though, if you’ve already purchased a DOUBL bra and you haven’t gone through a significant weight change, then reordering is as easy as pie. Simply place your order and confirm during your order that you’ve already done your scan. Your custom bra will then be on its way to you in no time.